Has back pain been troubling you for ages? Well, the reason might be an unsupportive mattress. A firm mattress with the right balance, support, and comfort is very essential to eliminate the chances of back pain and ensure that you get the best sleep. Most of us consider replacing our mattress once it has lost its firmness and supporting strength. But if you want a more budget-friendly and equally effective option, then it is best to install a good quality mattress topper instead.
The best mattress toppers are usually made of high-quality memory foam or latex. Some of the best mattress toppers are manufactured by brands like Saatva, Ghost Bed, Plush Bed, Casper, AmeriSleep, and others. For alleviating back pain and improving spinal alignment, mattresses of at least 3-inch thickness are recommended.
A mattress topper is designed to significantly enhance comfort and absorb movement disturbances. Some toppers can even give the same plush feeling or firmness as that of an expensive mattress. Continue reading to learn more about the different types and the best mattress toppers for back pain.
What Is A Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is a removable layer of padding or cushioning placed on the top of a mattress. Most toppers have a thickness of 1 to 3 inches. However, you may also find some toppers with a thickness of more than 8 inches. A 3-inch topper provides optimum support and cushioning without causing much sinkage. A mattress topper not only adds extra height to your bedding, but many variants are also designed to give support, cushioning or a plush effect, temperature control, etc.
What Are The Best Materials Used For A Mattress Topper?
The best materials for mattress toppers recommended by orthopaedists and chiropractics are – memory foam toppers and latex mattress toppers. The choice would depend on your personal sleep preferences. Factors like firmness, thickness, material, and warranty should be taken into consideration before purchasing the best mattress topper to suit your needs. Some mattresses give a pillow top-like plush feel, while others are firm enough to alleviate aches and pains and promote healthier sleep.
Side sleepers with aches and pains are recommended to use thicker and softer mattress toppers, while back sleepers should look for thinner and firmer toppers. If you are a hot sleeper, try something that has a breathable or cooling technology.
A latex mattress topper is recommended to relieve back, neck, and shoulder pain. They provide responsive support and are also known to resist motion transfer. Latex mattress toppers are more durable, breathable, and long-lasting than other types of toppers.
A memory foam mattress topper is usually recommended for side sleepers. These mattresses can blend in to contour your natural body curve and provide pressure point relief.
Another material infrequently used to construct a mattress topper is graphite memory foam. It is recommended for hot sleepers.
Best Firm Mattress Topper For Back Pain
If you are not yet ready to invest in a new mattress, it is time to invest in a good-quality mattress topper. Here's the list of the five best firm mattress toppers for back pain:
1. Saatva Mattress Topper
Saatva is a leading brand and a well-known name in the luxurious bedding industry. The Saatva Mattress Topper is made of high-quality, naturally breathable, and moisture-wicking organic cotton. The topper is well-engineered to prolong the life of an older mattress and ensure enhanced comfort. It is the most luxurious and the best extra firm mattress topper for back pain.
- One-year limited warranty.
- The cover of the mattress topper is made with natural moisture-wicking organic cotton.
- The mattress has elastic anchors to secure the topper in place, which ensures no shifting while you sleep.
- 6 months return policy.
2. Ghost Bed Mattress Topper
The Ghost Bed Mattress Topper has a 3-inch, high-quality, gel-foam-based cushioning that keeps you cool and is highly recommended for hot sleepers or those with back pain. It also has a 2" elastic grip that keeps the topper in place.
The mattress has multiple zones/ layers that contour and help in relieving pressure from different areas of the body, thus providing relief from neck, shoulder, or back discomfort.
- The brand provides a 5-year warranty on the mattress topper.
- A waterproof mattress protector is provided with each unit.
- With the most advanced features, the mattress topper is value for money.
- The mattress is made of high-quality and dense material.
- It is available at discounted prices throughout the year.
- The unit comes in only one thickness option (that is 3 inches).
3. PlushBed Mattress Topper
If you want to try out mattress toppers made of natural latex, then you can opt for the PlushBed Mattress Topper. Since natural latex is a long-lasting material, the topper will last you for years. Made with 100% natural Talalay latex, the PlushBed Mattress Topper can serve you for 20+ years (although it comes with a 5-year limited warranty), and when taken due care, it won't sag or break down over time.
- The PlushBed Mattress Topper is designed with 'aerated technology' that helps in spine alignment and relieves you from back pain. It is great for pressure relief.
- Long-lasting and durable.
- The mattress topper is hypoallergenic, odor-free, and resistant to mildew and dust-mite.
- Easy to roll, transport, and install.
- You can choose between different levels of firmness – Soft, Medium-Soft, Medium, Medium-Firm, and Extra Firm. Thickness options of 2" and 3" are available for this product for Twin, Twin XL, Full, King, and California King Size beds. Those who are over 250 lbs are recommended to buy the extra-firm variant. The medium firm variant is recommended for side or stomach sleepers, while the other variants can be used by back or side sleepers.
- Not suitable for those having an allergy to latex.
- Need to add a cover (preferably organic cotton) for the best usage.
4. Casper Comfy Mattress Topper
Another prominent name in the world of comfy mattresses and bedding is the brand Casper. The Casper Comfy Mattress Topper is a soft and supportive mattress, thanks to its AirScape perforated and cradling memory foam technology that pushes heat away and ensures a cool and comfortable sleep, especially for hot sleepers.
- The topper is pre-installed with a quilted knit cover that gives a complete look to the product.
- Reasonable cost.
- Best budget mattress topper for hot sleepers.
- Has a 5-Year Limited Warranty.
- Casper provides only a 30-days free night trial.
- The fabric material is made of a mix of recycled polyester, recycled cotton, spandex, and rayon. However, the top layer of the topper is made of premium foam, while the bottom layer is made of durable base foam.
5. Lift By AmeriSleep Mattress Topper
Lift by AmeriSleep is the best extra firm mattress topper for back pain, shoulder pain, and hip pain. The topper is designed to alleviate medical issues and comes in two firmness options – 'Comfort' and 'Support.' The soft and ultra-breathable cover prevents overheating and ensures a comfortable night's sleep.
- The pressure-relieving HIVE technology makes the topper highly comfortable and breathable.
- The topper has a MicroGrip design that resists movement and keeps it attached to the mattress.
- It is designed to give support and reduce pressure points by up to 49%. The topper is also recommended for spine alignment.
- Has a 5-Year Limited Warranty.
- The cover is removable (has a zipper) and washable.
- Once you install it, you would need to wait for at least 24 hours to let the topper expand and give its full effects.
Besides the above-mentioned options, some of the best firm mattress toppers for back pain are Sleep Innovations Dual Layer Mattress Topper (4 inches), ViscoSoft Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper (3 inches) with a high-density ventilated pad, and Keetsa Luxurious Comfort Layer Mattress Topper (3 inches) with linen blend cover, plush fiber padding, and Biofoam (memory foam) that confirms to your body shape and temperature.
Since replacing an old mattress can be expensive, a good-quality mattress topper is the best solution to augment the strength of an existing mattress. Mattress toppers should definitely be considered if you want to prolong the life of the main mattress and prevent sagging or add extra cushioning and support. Toppers also ensure good sleep hygiene as they are easy to wash, clean, maintain, and replace.
Feruza is a mom and a blogger. She had a neck pain for 15 years, which made her interested in everything about pillows.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure.