Searching for how to get rid of old pee stains on a mattress is not a glamorous moment in your life. Unfortunately, bed wetting accidents are inevitable, especially if you have kids or canines in your home. Yet, unlike your linens, you cannot throw your mattress into the washer; what are the steps to deal with this situation?
Animal and human urine consist of uric acid, easily eradicated using enzyme-based cleaning products through a procedural approach. There are many processes to embrace. You will also find numerous products in the store; you can even use products available at home to eliminate pee stains.
Whenever cleaning pee out of your mattress and you do not do it properly, you are likely to spread stains and smells on most parts of your mattress. That means you will not be comfortable sleeping on your bed. You can avoid that by following the six easy steps to help you get rid of pee on your mattress.
How To Get Pee Out Of A Mattress: 6 Steps
You do not have to spend so much money buying expensive products to clean pee off your mattress. Clean out the mess easily with your home products. You only need the proper steps and the best and most friendly products.
But first, here are the products that you will need:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- A few towels
- Spray bottle
- Clear your bed. When cleaning pee off your mattress, the first step is to clear the beddings from your bed. Once you remove the beddings, throw them in the washer immediately and clean them.
- Mix white vinegar and water. Use the spray bottle to combine the mixture of white vinegar and water in a ratio of 50:50.
- Blot the liquid on the mattress. The next step is to blot the liquid from the mattress using a towel. Avoid scrubbing the towel on the mattress as that will lead to the urine getting deeper into your mattress's foam, making it difficult for you to get rid of the smell. The number of towels you use depends on the amount of urine on the mattress.
- Spray the mixture. Once you eliminate as much urine as possible on your mattress, spray the mixture of the white vinegar and baking soda onto the area. Then using the towels, continue to blot out the excess liquid.
- Cover the area. Once you have blotted out as much liquid as possible, use the baking soda to cover the area. Make sure that the section is completely covered and leave it on for not less than 8 hours. The more hours that it sits, the better.
- Clean the baking soda. Vacuum-clean the baking soda and inspect the area. If you notice some smell or stains on the mattress, repeat the process until things return to normal.
How To Get Urine Out Of Memory Foam Mattress
When accidents happen on your foam mattress, always act fast to clean your mattress. In the case of urine, access the situation so you can determine the extent of the damage. Find out if the urine is fresh or has been there for a while. You should also consider the amount; is it a lot or a little?
Also, find out about the smell; is it mild, or if you will need to address a more pungent smell? That will help give you a better idea of removing the odor. Once you have known everything about your foam mattress's urine and stains, follow the following easy steps.
- Remove the sheets and beddings and wash them immediately.
- Use a paper towel or a rag to blot the soiled area.
- Spray down the stained area using white vinegar and let it soak for 10-20mins to help eliminate the smell. Then soak up the vinegar with a towel or a rug.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area to help soak any lingering smells.
- Leave the baking soda for 5-8 hours.
- Vacuum the baking soda from your mattress. Repeat to ensure you do not leave any remnants behind.
How To Get Pee Smell Out Of A Mattress
It can be frustrating when you clean urine off your mattress but still find some pee smell later, in the same spot. If that is the case, there are a few things that you can try.
Use Baking Soda On Your Mattress.
Apply baking soda over the mattress. Baking soda is an excellent product to eliminate the smell since it absorbs odors. In addition, since it has a basic pH, it will neutralize the general acid smells from the urine.
Besides, the baking soda will absorb the urine to get rid of any remaining moisture. If a particular section on your mattress has a more pungent smell, use a thicker layer of baking soda. Allow it to sit for 5 hours or more, and then use a vacuum to clean it. Repeat the process as needed.
Apply The Vinegar Solution
The trick is to mix vinegar and water in a ratio of 50:50. If the smell is too strong, consider adding a few drops of essential oil. The purpose of this oil is to help mask the smell. Apply this solution to your mattress and let it dry. Once dry, take out your baking soda and apply it to your mattress. Allow it to suck the excess moisture from the mattress. The baking soda will also help to neutralize the strong smell coming from the mattress.
How To Remove Old Urine Stains From Mattress
Does your mattress have an extensive old pee stain you've been assuming? You will need a strong cleaning product to eradicate it. In this case, you need to use baking soda, dish soap, and hydrogen peroxide. Here's how to go about it.
- Mix the ingredients: Mix the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and drops of liquid detergent. Next, mix the products with ¼ liter of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, and three drops of dish soap liquid.
- Apply the mixture: Use the spray bottle to apply the solution to the stained areas. Then allow the mixture to soak in and dry for a few hours. A solid baking soda resume will form.
- Vacuum the area: Once the solution dries, vacuum off the baking soda and ensure you get rid of all the solution.
- Inspect your mattress: Inspect your mattress to find out if it is clean. If the mattress still has some stains, repeat the process until it is clean.
How To Get Cat Pee Out Of Mattress
Cat's urine has a more pungent smell compared to human urine. So, to clean it out, use a stronger cleaning solution. Hint: get rid of all the cat smell from the mattress to prevent your cat from marking the territory. Here are the steps to follow.
- Saturate the area with a lot of water. Do not worry about the mattress getting wet since it is already wet with pee.
- Use towels to help blot and absorb as much urine as possible.
- Apply vinegar to the area.
- Use enzyme cleaners and let it sit on the stained area for some hours and air dry.
- Cover the area with a laundry basket to keep the kitty away from it.
- Run the fun and keep the window open to keep the airflow moving and ensure the smell leaves your house.
Note: Mattresses consist of various fabrics, so before using your cleaning products, read the instructions so as not to leave a mark on your mattress.
Cleaning pee from your mattress requires patience since it is not a quick fix. Also, clean it immediately to get rid of the stain and the smell with ease. If the pee is dry and you have a stain or smell, the above procedures will help you. That said, how to get rid of old pee stains on the mattress should now be easy!
Feruza is a mom and a blogger. She had a neck pain for 15 years, which made her interested in everything about pillows.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure.