A good night's sleep is one of the best ways to improve health. Sleeping on a mattress that provides enough support and comfort can unlock your ability to sleep better. When selecting a mattress, you should consider factors like the room size, the number of sleepers, size of sleepers, the sleeping position of sleepers, comfortability, breathability, and of course the price. But out of all these factors, the most important one is probably the size of the mattress.
Starting from the smallest to the biggest, the dimensions of different types of mattresses you can buy are – Twin Bed Mattresses (38" X 75"), Twin XL Bed Mattresses (38" X 80"), Full-Size Bed Dimensions (54" X 74"), Queen Size Bed Dimensions (60" X 80"), King Size Bed Mattresses (76" X 80"), and California King Sized Bed Mattresses (72" X 84").
Most consumers tend to buy Queen-size mattresses because they are space-efficient for most bedrooms. But there may be many of us who might require oversized mattresses for special purposes or smaller mattresses for kids and teens. Nevertheless, below is a guide about different mattress sizes that you will find at any retailer or online.
1. Twin Bed Dimensions
The dimensions for a twin bed mattress are 38" X 75". These mattresses fit small bed frames and are perhaps the first upgrade from crib rooms. It is the smallest standard mattress size and is the best fit for children's beds, small bedrooms, bunk beds, day beds, and guest rooms. Some of the best Twin Bed mattresses are:
- Helix Midnight – The Twin Bed mattress is designed to give you the optimum feel between softness and firmness. The mattress is cushioned in layers to provide pressure point relief, especially in the hip and shoulder area. The GlacioTex Cooling Cover pulls away heat from the body to provide a comfortable and relaxing night's sleep. The brand provides 10 to 15 years accidental warranty and 100 nights sleep trial.
- ZINUS Cooling Copper Adaptive Mattress – The 10" mattress has CertiPUR-US Certified Copper cooling technology and an adaptive fabric cover that evaporates excess moisture and eliminates heat. This very economical option is also designed to resist motion transfer and promote customized spinal alignment for a great night's sleep. The brand provides 10 years of limited warranty on this product.
2. Twin XL Bed Dimensions
The dimensions of the Twin XL mattress are 38" X 80". Twin XL mattresses are a slightly modified version of the Twin Bed mattresses and have a longer leg room space (5 inches long). The mattress is ideal for tall individuals and fits very well in smaller spaces. Here are some recommendations for a Twin XL Bed Mattress:
- Nolah Nurture 10 – It is considered one of the best mattresses for kids and teens. Wrapped in GOTS-certified organic cotton cover, the Nolah Nurture mattress is a comfortable and safe option for growing children. It also has two-sided flippable firmness and is covered under 10 years of warranty.
- Birch Natural Mattress – Another great organic option for Twin XL-size is the Birch Natural – an eco-friendly, GREENGUARD Gold and GOTS certified organic mattress. The design is optimized for relieving pressure and providing even contour to your body. The mattress comes with a 10-year warranty and 100 nights sleep trial or money-back guarantee.
Some of the other good brands that manufacture Twin XL bed mattresses are – Avocado, Casper, and Winkbeds.
3. Full-Size Bed Dimensions
Full-size bed mattresses provide a comfortable space for single sleepers and growing children or teenagers. It has a dimension of 54" X 74". The mattress fits into full-sized bed frames and is an economical option for rooms with narrower floor space. Two of the most popular Full-Size Bed mattresses are:
- Tuft & Needle Original Mattress – The full-size bed mattress is comfortable, plush, and supportive. The Open Cell Cooling Technology and graphite provide a cooling effect while you sleep. The contour and patented two-layer foam blend are designed to contour and relieve pressure points. The brand provides a 100-night trial and 10 year of limited warranty on this mattress.
- Saatva Classic Mattress – The hybrid variety mattress has a dual coil construction with a luxury pillow-top to give you comfort and support throughout the night. It also comes with different firmness options such as firm, luxury soft, and plush firm. The brand provides a 180 nights trial period and a lifetime warranty on this product.
4. Queen Size Bed Dimensions
The standard Queen Size bed mattress dimensions are 60" X 80". It is one of the most popular choices among all other variants as it fits most spaces and provides enough room for two individuals. It is great for couples and fits very well in almost all kinds of bedrooms. Due to its huge demand, there are various bedding options available for Queen Size mattresses. Some of the popular models of Queen Size mattresses are:
- WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress – The mattress is a great choice for those who need both cushioning and comfort. If you are suffering from back pain, hip pain, or shoulder pain, then the pressure-relieving feature of the mattress and high breathability will ensure a great night's sleep. The hybrid design includes a Euro pillow top with gel-infused foam, an extra-edge support system, and individually wrapped pocketed coils. You can also choose different types of firmness based on the sleeper's weight and requirements.
- Avocado Green Organic Mattress – New in style and comfort, the Avocado Green Mattress is best for back and combination sleepers, hot sleepers who need temperature regulation, and people who love living a clean and organic lifestyle. The mattress is handmade out of natural, organic, and non-toxic materials. You also get a one-year free trial, free returns, and 25 years of warranty with this mattress.
5. King Size Bed Dimensions
Just like how it is named, King Size Bed mattresses are supposed to give you a comfortable, royal-like feeling. King Size bed dimensions are 76" X 80" and they are ideal for accommodating adults, children, and pets. Being the second most popular type of mattresses, the beddings for King Size mattresses are also easily available. Here are the top recommendations for a King Size Bed Mattress:
- The DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattress – The luxurious mattress has multiple foam layers with a pocketed coil system. The cashmere blend cover makes it highly breathable. With a 365 nights trial and lifetime limited warranty, this mattress is going to sustain in your bedroom for generations to come.
- The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress – Made with high-quality memory foam, the mattress claims to keep you cool throughout the night. It has a total of five layers and fits into any bed frame. You can seek its one-year of home trial option and free returns.
6. California King Bed Dimensions
California King Bed dimensions are 72" X 84". Therefore, they are longer and narrower than standard King size mattresses. The extra 4" length of these mattresses make them ideal for tall couples. So, if you and your partner have a height of 6ft. and above, then the California King Bed mattress should be the perfect choice for your bedroom. Some of the best California King Mattresses are:
- Saatva Classic Mattress – Designed to reduce back pain, the mattress is one of the award-winning hybrid innerspring mattresses in the USA. It also comes in 11.5" and 14.5" height options. Since it is quite costly, you can give a 180-night home trial to test it before you permanently make it a part of your bedroom.
- Casper Original Mattress – The mattress has an effective 'bed-in-box' construction. It is designed to deliver better spinal support, breathability, and cushioning comfort. The brand offers a 100-night trial period and 10 years of warranty.
Let's Sum Up
For a quick reference, here is a chart showing the dimensions (or standard sizes) of different types of mattresses:
|Twin||38" X 75"|
|Twin XL||38" X 80"|
|Full||54" X 74"|
|Queen||60" X 80"|
|King||76" X 80"|
|California King||72" X 84"|
Do note that most of the brands and models that we have suggested above are also available in different dimensions and choices of firmness.
Feruza is a mom and a blogger. She had a neck pain for 15 years, which made her interested in everything about pillows.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure.